The Matopo Primary School Teacher-to-Teacher project is documented here. It is kindly being supported by ETAS (English Teachers Association Switzerland) and the Roger Federer Foundation.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Matopo Primary School project

In case anybody out there has been in a coma, things are not going well in Zimbabwe. Every news report I read boosts the inflation rate--the latest figure I saw put the prognosis at 100,000 % by the end of this year!




Even if people had money, the shops are mostly empty and people have been resorting to barter to get a few daily needs.




Rural areas, such as Matobo Hills where Matopo Primary School is located, are particulary hard hit.




The English Teachers' Association of Switzerland has been supporting Matopo Primary School this year through donations by members. I organized the project and am planning to visit the school in October. So far we have been able to get some text books and uniforms for about 80 girls. But so much more is needed!




Together with the school administrators, I am in the process of setting up a "Teachers' Training Day" which will take place in early October. As teachers have nothing in the way of support from the government, and the pupils' parents are in no position to help, this is quite a challenge. I hope to support the teachers with ideas about how to teach English (and other subjects as well) without any access to resources--this means, forget about the Internet and CD-ROM--this school doesn't even have enough paper and pencils to go round.




Many people have already helped out on this project, and with this Blog I hope to capture the attention of others who may be willing to contribute, whether it be financially, collecting and sending much-needed materials, or even just moral support.




2 comments:

Hala said...

Hello all,
Reading through your words, I find same situation here in Sudan.
“Below you will have seen figures, worrisome to say the least, but imagine the kids suffering. A whole generation can be ruined by bad politics, war and poverty.”
May you have the strength to fight for those kids.
I wish tomorrow will shine soon for both Zimbabwean and Sudanese children.
I bow to your project and efforts.
Hala Fawzi( an English language teacher in Khartoum)

Claudia Ceraso said...

I wonder how I would I known about your school without this blog.
I wish you the strength to keep the torch burning for a better future.

Warm regards from Buenos Aires, Argentina.